The right person at the right time
A Hamilton County native and graduate of Chattanooga High School, Phil Smartt went on to graduate from Brigham Young University and serves as an Elder and Sunday School teacher in his church. He has owned a small business for more than 38 years and is a member of the Hamilton Place Rotary Club. A devoted family man, he and his wife of 48 years, Gloria, have raised six children and dote on their 28 grandchildren. His full and busy life has led Phil to believe that our individual rights are of utmost importance.
Click Here to read more about his educational views and background!
The Right Experience
- Chair (2 years) Hamilton County Pachyderm Club – also a Founding Member
- Vice-Chair Hamilton County Republican Party
- Served on the Hamilton County School Board
- Served as Chairman of the Hamilton County School Board
- Moccasin Bend Board of Trustees
- Westview 2 Precinct Chairman
- Hamilton County Community Service Agency (children)
- Manager of the Ronald Reagan Campaign
- Representative for Mitt Romney Campaign
- President of Professional Insurance Agents Association
- Served 10 years on the Hamilton County Waste Water Treatment Authority, with 2 as Chairman
- Served 6 years on the local Cherokee Area Council for the Boy Scouts of America
The Right Position
- Fiscal soundness – work to maintain a balanced budget
- Maintain the AAA Bond rating of the County
- Opposed to forced annexation – favor the property rights of individuals
- Limited government
- Keep tax rates low
- Seek to establish a Technical Secondary (High) School within the County
- Work to establish a better relationship with the Hamilton County Board of Education
- Ensure that the county remains a business friendly environment
The Right Values
- Truthfulness – in a time when “spin” is in vogue, it’s time for elected officials to “tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.”
- Fairness – it’s important to remember that serving District 7 is “by the people, and for the people.”
- Honesty & Integrity – earning the trust of our citizens can come only on the grounds of honesty and integrity in every interaction.
- Community – District 7 is a widely dispersed and diverse people, and by creating a sense of oneness, positive change can happen.
- Commitment - to borrow from Nike, “just do it!”